Monday, November 24, 2014

Today I learned: There are still people in this world, who do not take JavaScript seriously.

I'm not sure on this one:
On one hand, it's sad. On the other hand, it's funny.

I watched a professional tutorial called "Advanced JavaScript". It's actually a couple of hours long course about advanced JavaScript techniques.

The first thing I noticed was, that the speaker compared JavaScript's lack of namespaces to "professional programming languages". Yeah, sure.

C#, Java are professional programming languages. JavaScript, the most used programming language in the world is not professional. Sure.

And further down the line, the speaker explains JavaScript's prototype mechanism to "real OOP". This is also great. In my opinion, JavaScripts OOP is superior to the classical OOP we all grew up with. Just because it's familiar, does not mean, it's actually better.

So, I ask myself why, even in 2014 there are some people, who teach other people JavaScript and apparently never saw Doug's "JavaScript - The Good Parts", which he semi-ironically calls the "most important discovery in the early 21st century".

On the other hand, I have to realize, that I, being as nit-picky as I can sometimes be, have to admit, that I can still learn a lot from this speaker.

So a small rant might be OK, sometimes, perhaps. Being a pedantic jerk is never OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment