Saturday, November 29, 2014

Today I Learned: Psalm 22 ist a prophecy fulfilled


In John 19 it is written, that the soldiers cut Jesus clothes into four parts and gambled for his tunic. This scene is explained with these words:

"They said therefore among themselves, "Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be," that the Scripture might be fulfilled which says: "They divided My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots." Therefore the soldiers did these things."

A wonderful example of explaining the scripture with the scripture. But where does this stand, what is fulfilled? You guess right: Psalm 22.

In my opinion (and luckily, not only mine alone) this Psalm explains how the Cruscofication of Jesus felt. From Jesus' point of view.
Just read some verses:

Verse 8: "He trusted in the Lord, let Him rescue Him; Let Him deliver Him, since He delights in Him!"
-- That's what some people shout at him when he is at the cross.



Verse 15: "My strength is dried up like a potsherd, And My tongue clings to My jaws; You have brought Me to the dust of death."
-- That's how you feel, hanging on a tree


"For dogs have surrounded Me; The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me. They pierced My hands and My feet;"
-- Guess what happened to Jesus' feet and hands


"They divide My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots."
-- Guess why this is quoted in John.



Jesus himself quotes Psalm 22, when dying:
"My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"



And last, and maybe least, but nonetheless interesting fact: These verses were written by David, who was King of the Jews. Jesus has been hung because the Sanherin said, that Jesus was King of the Jews.
Thing like these explanations are one point why I love the bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment